How to clean your aircraft panel the right way.
While the following advisory is posted from Garmin, the recommendations provided can be applied to most other panels. However, should you have specific concerns about your equipment, please refer to the manufacturer’s cleaning procedures as stated in their manual.
Garmin Aviation Service Advisory #2051
Garmin would like to provide some general recommendations for materials and supplies used to clean/disinfect Garmin aviation products. Not following the recommendations below could void the warranty.
The following guidance is intended to help reduce the spread of disease while preserving the integrity of Garmin aviation products. Garmin does not guarantee that it will do so in all cases. For general cleaning and disinfecting guidance, please refer to CDC guidelines and other applicable guidelines.
Cleaning and Disinfecting:
- Cleaners containing ammonia will harm the anti-reflective coating on many Garmin aviation display lenses.
- Disinfecting using a solution of 70% isopropyl alcohol that does not contain ammonia is preferred. Solutions of up to 91% isopropyl alcohol are also acceptable.
- Clean the display lens using a clean lint-free cloth and a cleaner that is specified as safe for anti-reflective coatings.
- For other exposed surfaces such as knobs, buttons, and bezels, a damp cloth with soap and water is acceptable. Garmin does not recommend bleach-based cleaners, ammonia-based cleaners, or other harsh chemicals on any surface.
- Remove all soap/soap residue to prevent buttons and knobs from gumming up or becoming slippery.
- Many aviation products are not rated as waterproof. Spraying or wetting the units to the extent where moisture could go beyond the exterior surfaces could damage the unit.
Please observe our signs
While in either our maintenance or avionics hangar, please observe and abide by our safety markers.
This initiative is to protect you against the natural obstructions of our shop environment, and they also allow us to protect each other by maintaining a safe working distance.
Use our Key Drop
Have a scheduled service appointment? Feel free to use our Key Drop Box located between our Maintenance and Avionics hangars.
Be sure to attach your contact details and N# for identification purposes.